Saturday, June 22, 2013

It's Not About the Stuff!




Today I am 193.4 pounds of rolling thunder.

TV financial guru Dave Ramsey says the world will tell you that you need stuff to be a somebody -- don't listen.

The same holds true for being a runner. While everyone around you is talking about special shorts, socks, GU's, sports drinks and GPS watches, the truth is, if you've got a good pair of shoes and the desire to get moving, that's just about all you need to be a runner.

Sometime in the past few weeks Mother Nature has gone from the goddess who brought us a mild, rainy spring to an angry deity that has filled the air with humidity and pollen while spiking temperatures above 90 degrees.

Now, as you know, I'm not a great runner to begin with, but when conditions turn hot, the world's slowest human gets even slower. I walk more and probably log less distance. But you know what? It doesn't take a lot of stuff.

I grab my running shorts and shoes and head out the door as often as I can. Heck, sometimes I even throw on a shirt. My apologies to those of you who are offended by the jiggle of my extra 20 pounds, but at least I'm trying to get things under control. I'm told the weight-loss part will follow, so stay tuned for that.

Running doesn't have to be about the stuff. Not the GPS wrist watches, the special belts filled with water bottles or even the exotic running locations. It's about getting up and moving and being in the moment. It's about embracing the pain of the run and enjoying a cookie or a brownie without guilt when you're done with your exercise, regardless of how fast or slow you might be.

I believe Dave's right on this one -- as he is on so many things. It's not about the stuff, it's about the stuff inside of you that makes you a runner, so get off the couch, get moving and don't listen to others.









No comments:

Post a Comment