Thursday, February 21, 2013

Winter Storm Q Kicked My Butt




Feb. 21, 2013

Today I'm 192.4 pounds of frozen thunder.

That's right, frozen thunder. Winter Storm Q actually delivered, and we've got at least 12 inches of snow on the ground. It hasn't snowed like this since, who knows when.

The storm started with a mix of freezing rain and snow, and quickly switched over to all snow all the time. And while getting this much snow after months of little rain or snow, it's left the roads unsuitable for driving.
More importantly they are also unnavigable for running.

So today's workout was less about aerobics and more about brute force, freezing cold and getting the neighborhood driveways cleaned. Silly me, I went outside to shovel a path to the cars -- not that we could get out to go anywhere -- but the snow was no longer falling and cabin fever had set in.

But once you're outside and cold -- or suffering from a frozen brain -- you might as well get some work done. That, and I had the crazy thought that the neighbor offered to let us use her snow blower.

Now I'm a novice snow blower, but I'm pretty sure 12 inches of snow needs something with a little more oomph than this model. It felt a lot like using a Bissell push sweeper on a sand dune. The motor whined, but the little blower that could keep on going.

Three or four driveways later, I had the snow blower system pretty well down pat. So I headed inside. Bad move. My plan to completely clear our driveway tomorrow was met with much weeping and gnashing of teeth. 

So back on went the jeans, jacket and shoes, and out we went to finish the driveway. Let's just say that this was a deep, heavy snow and certain muscles were taxed that hadn't been visited in some time. Tonight, might just be an Advil night.

After all the shoveling and snow blowing Winter Storm Q kicked my backside. At least it was Q and not Nemo. I'd hate to be slow and beaten down by Nemo.





No comments:

Post a Comment