Saturday, April 6, 2013

Blasphemy, Pure Unadulterated Blasphemy





April 6, 2013

Today I am 197.4 pounds of rolling thunder.

What a long strange trip this week has been. And somewhere amongst all my comings and goings I did manage to get out on the road and do some running. And somewhere along the line, the days have started to be more spring like and Old Man Winter has loosened his grasp.

As a contract writer, the paydays come pretty sporadically, so I jump at the chance to do some work -- any work. It should come as no surprise then that there are days when I have plenty of time to work out, and then there are the days like Monday when I answered the bell at 8 a.m. and punched out the following morning at 2.

Now I'm not whining. Work is work, and I accept it with a smile. But the first few days of this week running time was crowded out by the need to make some cash.

On Monday, I went to my newest part-time gig for four hours of orientation and new employee meet and greet. That was 8 a.m. to noon. Then it was on to my contract gig as a guinea pig patient for doctors in training -- mark that noon to 5 p.m. for those of you scoring along at home.

And I rounded out the day by working as an online editor from 5 p.m. until 2 a.m. Tuesday. Luckily, my day was shortened on Tuesday when I only did two jobs -- from noon until 2 a.m. Wednesday and a return to my day job at 8:30 a.m.

So by 5 p.m., it was all I could do to come home and walk a few miles. Luckily, my day-side gig requires some walking. And to top it all off, I was up at 4:30 a.m. Thursday for a trip to the airport.

Yes, there will be time for sleeping when we're on the other side of the grass, but my body needs to get out and move. Running had somehow taken a backseat to real life. Blasphemy, I say, pure unadulterated blasphemy.

By Thursday afternoon I was back running and again on Friday. I'm still the world's slowest human being, but at least I'm moving. So if you see me out there on the streets flailing away at running, give me a wave and a smile.






No comments:

Post a Comment