Friday, April 12, 2013

Time to quit slacking off and get running

April 12, 2013

Today I am 196.2 pounds of rolling thunder.

I'm also 196.2 pounds of work and workout avoidance. It's been days since my last blog post, and I'm a post-a-holic. I can't live without writing something, and I can't go too many days without issuing at least one pithy blog post.

But, alas, I've let work and life get in the way of letting you know the sad tales of the world's slowest human.

So after days cold weather combined with bad timing with work, I finally got back out on the road this week. And while I love to run, I hate feeling like I've started my running efforts all over again.

I am by no measure a great runner. I'm not even in the same area code as being an OK runner. I'm sort of like the guy who has golf clubs and considers himself a golfer. I have running shoes and I hit the streets, but you can argue that what I'm doing is actually running, since it seems to be a mix of walking, jogging and a lot of movement in between.

But I do like to go out and get moving. I like the feeling of coasting in after a good hour or so of jogging. I like being able to eat cookies when I want and the occasional handful of chips without much guilt. I like how much better feels when you slip off to a sound sleep after a good, long run.

This week has felt like a do-over. It feels in many ways like I have let my aerobic capacity slip. I've walked more and run less than in about a year. Maybe it's the rainy weather or the timing, but I just don't feel like I've got the same stamina as I did last fall. But that's not going to stop me. I've got running to do and conditioning to achieve.

OK, my fellow slackers. Time to get off the computer and back out on the streets. There are miles to be traveled before I can rest.

If you see me traveling those miles, slowness and all, give me a wave.

PS - If you need a good laugh, check out this blog post: The Secret to my Sex-Cess




No comments:

Post a Comment