Saturday, November 17, 2012

Time To Pull Out The Headlights And Keep Running

Nov. 17, 2012 -- I've lost count of the days.

Today I'm an undetermined amount of rolling thunder. I skipped the scale and went straight to my work.

I wish I knew a good reason why we spring forward and fall back. Sure, I've heard all the excuses about kids getting on school buses in the dark. And farmers needing more daylight. And even a theory that it's all the work of the leisure industry lobby.

The bottom line is I don't like running in the dark. My run time has moved in the last week to after 5 p.m. and most nights closer to 6. While the warm autumn days have provided mild evening runs, it's just no fun running in the dark.

I guess there are always those alley cats who enjoy the darkness, but me, I'd rather know when I'm about to step on an acorn that could twist and ankle or send me tumbling to the ground.

I did an indoor workout on my Nordic Track, but that got boring after about 20 minutes, but I endured on for 30. Still, it wasn't like getting out and breathing deep while taking a good run.

I suppose the ice and snow of winter will eventually force me off the roads and into the basement or the gym, but maybe we'll have another mild winter. Last year I don't think there was a week when I was unable to get out on the road for at least a day or two during the week.

Could be a winter season for cross-training on the bike, Nordic Track and stair climber. Who knows, maybe I'll really learn how to swim this year.

Anybody else out there get really bored on a Nordic Track? I see tons of them at yard sales, so I'm sure that I'm not alone.

So I suppose we're all in agreement that it sucks when you can't get out there on the road, so enjoy every minute of these fine fall days. 

And remember, when you see the world's slowest human out running, just give me a wave.

No comments:

Post a Comment