Saturday, October 13, 2012

Run Rained Out? Time To Cross Train


Day 61, Oct. 13, 2012

Today I am 188.8 pounds of rolling thunder.

Today, I am also a cross trainer. No, not a cross dresser, a cross trainer.

The forecast for today was so bad on Friday that the local high school postponed its league cross country meet to avoid having kids out in the rain, lightning and who knows what else Mother Nature will throw at us. 

When I left the house this morning, I saw runners hurriedly scampering about trying to get their workouts in before the big rain that was predicted for the afternoon. Saturday mornings in my neighborhood are always filled with runners, joggers, walkers and people pushing jogger strollers with kids on board.

But today's crew had that look of determination mixed with worry on their various faces. It's that look of wanting to get something completed but not wanting to risk life and limb if the rain suddenly turns to lightning.

I, on the other hand, decided to roll the dice and get my shopping and other chores done before the big rain hit. I had lawns to winterize and groceries to get home.

By the time I started putting on my running shoes I realized the weather was sketchy at best, so I turned to my second best option -- indoor cycling. And while I'd hoped to still sneak in a run later in the day, the bike was my best alternative.

I've had a steady streak of getting out on the roads of late, so a day on the bike wouldn't be so bad. Plus, I took my lung exerciser out on the bike to work my lungs a bit during the ride. I'm glad, however, I was hanging out in the garage because I'm sure my neighbors would get quite a chuckle seeing a man on a stationary bike huffing and puffing through a PVC plastic lung exerciser.

One of the nice things about being back on the bike is the break it gives your joints. Spinning for an hour or so gets your heart rate up without stressing out your knees, hips, ankles and back. 

The other benefit is it's not running. The motion is different, so you're taxing you muscles in a different way. Personally, I enjoy biking, Nordic Tracking and inline skating, although I never seem to cross train nearly as much as I promise myself I will. 

The other benefit is with cycling you can catch up on all those running magazines that have stacked up in the house while you're out on the road. Who knew there was a whole Summer Olympics and I wasn't invited? OK, I did, but you get the picture. Indoor cycle time can be reading time, just don't let your pace slack and be sure to crank up the resistance and switch body positions from sitting to standing.

Just sitting and gliding isn't going to do you any good. You should build up a good sweat on the bike.

Outside, the monsoon rain comes and goes. We're 14 inches of rain behind for the year, so this is a welcome break from the drought. And for me, a welcome time to ride the bike and get off the street for today.

So if you see the world's slowest person out on the road tomorrow, give me a wave.

No comments:

Post a Comment