Sunday, October 14, 2012

To The Victor Go The Spoils



Day 62, Oct.  14, 2012

Today I am 191.6 pounds of rolling thunder.

Or better yet, today I am 191 pounds of sleepy thunder. Or perhaps I'm 191 pounds of over-chocolated thunder.

I'm definitely 191 pounds of lying thunder.

So yesterday I told you all about my day of cross training. And yes, I took advantage of a rainy day to take my workout inside and climb on the stationary bike, which I hadn't done for a long time.

And no, it wasn't a lie that cross training is good for you. Any break from the ordinary routine offers your mind and body a needed change of pace.

But darned if the weather didn't start to break about the time my dinner break rolled around. Those little you-better-go-run gremlins crowded their way into my head, and before I knew it, I was up putting my running shorts and shoes on and heading out the door.

The day had been filled with torrential downpours mixed with steady rains, and thunder had echoed on and off throughout. The temperature had warmed Friday night and remained warm throughout Saturday.

When I finally hit the road it was damp, breezy but comfortable to be outside in shorts and a T-shirt. Funny how fall weather is. The day before I bundled up in tights and sweats and a long-sleeve shirt to make my run. 

While this wasn't quite a traditional brick workout, it was the kind of thing I'd like to do more of. A brick is when you do biking and running (or any two activities) in combination, so that you're stacking your workout. Many triathletes do it to build their training base, and to get used to the transition from one activity to another.

Chocolatey Peanut Pretzel Bars
Mine was much more like running with bricks. I started off just fine, but then the humidity and the fact that I'd eaten too close to my run began to take their toll. So what had so much promise ended up being a sweat fest of the first order.

But I was out on the road after some much-needed rain and that's a big plus. So brick or no brick, I'm declaring it a victory.

And to the victor go the spoils (note brownies in photo). Or at least to those who endure really bad football by their local teams. I might have to run several extra miles today.

So if you see a bloated slow guy out running today, give me a wave.

No comments:

Post a Comment