Friday, March 15, 2013

Celebrate Pi Day With Pie




March 15, 2013

Today I am 192.2 pounds of rolling thunder.

Anybody else miss it? You know what I'm talking about. Come on, it was yesterday.

You want a hint? Think about it, March 14. Come on, I'm almost giving it away.

Yes yesterday was Pi Day. You know, 3.14 -- the 2013 is just a throw in.

Pi Day is celebrated annually on March 14 around the world as a tribute to the Greek letter Pi, which in mathematics is the ration of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. Or if my memory serves correct, 22/7ths or 3.14159.

Experts say that Pi has been calculated to over 1 trillion digits beyond the decimal point, but as far as we know you could go on forever without finding a repetition or pattern.

Not to be confused with Mole Day, which is celebrated from 6:02 a.m. to 6:02 p.m. on 10.23 and celebrates Avogadro's Number, which is a basic measure in chemistry. And in case you weren't awake for this in high school chemistry class, just be warned that your children will need to be at school early on October 23 for Mole Day.

So what does Pi Day have to do with running? Very little, unless you're calculating the fat rolls that jiggle off my cellulite-friendly midsection, then it has everything to do with running. Pi, moles, whatever you pick, I've got it in quantum amounts.

Man does warm weather really help the soul when it comes to running. For the first time in weeks I was able to get out and run without donning multiple layers of shorts, t-shirts, sweats, jackets and caps to keep warm.

In late winter, 60 might as well be the new 80. Everyone was out running in shorts, including the world's slowest human, who struggled but made a nice run/walk over five miles.

While it wasn't a thing of beauty, if I would have remember it, I would have rewarded my run with some pie, in honor of Pi Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment