Monday, March 11, 2013

Hills I've Got; Sprinter's Legs, Not So Much





March 11, 2013


Today I am 194.8 pounds of rolling thunder.


Good golly man, when will this winter weather ever be over?!?


Running was a labor of love the last two days as Old Man Winter tried his best to keep an icy death grip on the area. In the morning on both days I had convinced myself that it was going to be an inside workout day. But then, you know, those little voices remind you that going outside is much more fun and beneficial than staring into the abyss while riding a stationary bike.


So out I went. And you know what, the little voices were right. After the first 10 minutes or so, the biting cold lost its sting, and it was a great day to be outside.


I decided this spring to mix up my workouts a bit. Now I'm a huge slave to my routine. I run the same routes. I go the same speed. I expect miracle results. Some say that's the definition of insanity, and they may be right.


So I decided to shake it up a bit today and do some sprinting and hill work. Hills I've got. Sprinters legs and lungs, not so much. 


But how are you going to get those kinds of lungs and legs if you don't shake things up? So after a brief warm-up, I tried my first uphill sprint. I had read that I should start with a one-minute sprint, but mine probably lasted all of 20 seconds before both lungs and legs gave out -- and that was my long sprint.


I did manage to follow up with a series of uphill sprints of varying lengths and intervals. And I mixed in a few downhill sprints on the road home just for good measure.


Between the cold and the change of pace, it made for a different kind of workout. Hopefully, this will jump start my spring workouts. Either way, if you see the world's slowest human trying to sprint, give me a wave.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment