Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Running for my life - Aug. 7, 2012

Aug. 7, 2012
I'm 195 pounds of rolling thunder. Actually, when I stepped on the digital scale I was more like 195.4 pounds of rolling thunder.
I run so that I can eat, but seldom do I eat so I can run. I'm like so many Americans who simple carbohydrates are a passion and not a means to healthy living.

I was born to a gene-pool filled with pear-shaped German people -- at least that's the excuse I use in public for hauling around 25 extra pounds, most of which is around the middle.

At one point I was an avid biker and lost roughly 35 pounds. I'm still 25 pounds to the lighter side, but with a history of heart disease and daily doses of stress from being a husband, dad and contract writer, it seems wise to try and knock off some extra belly fat.

I started running a few years ago, and I'm still ranked in the top 10 slowest people in the world. If there were an Olympics for guys who have to walk during their daily runs, I'd be a defending champ.

I once passed a guy while out on a run. I was all giddy until I realized he was probably in his 80s.

I'm OK with my pace and my distance. I wasn't born to run. But I still do, on occasion, get really pissed when I get passed by a woman ... and her dog. I know part of it is sexist, but a dog? Really? Damn!

So yesterday was my long day. I usually start at the top of a hill and go about 6 miles. I've added some spinning to my daily routine to get loosened  up, so the running is somewhat easier. Because of time, I cut the distance down by about a mile.

It's still a good hour-and-a-half run. It opens the lungs and makes the heart go thump, so I'm good with it. 

My next goal is to push away from the simple carbs and get healthier. 

I'll try to check in with your every day and let you know how I'm doing. For now, if you see the world's slowest mass of rolling thunder out on the road, give me a wave.


No comments:

Post a Comment