Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A running path to success


Day 15 - Aug. 21, 2012

Today I'm 192 pounds of rolling thunder.

My work week shifted yesterday, so I had the day off, which means an opportunity for a split workout.

I took a 45-minute lunch break and road my spin bike. It's good cross training and really loosens up m my legs and hips. Hopefully, pushing and pulling that 40-pound flywheel has an effect as well.

In the late afternoon I went for a long run. It was a good day both in temperature and accomplishment. The temps were mild with low humidity, and I covered 6.5 miles without a stop.

Even my nemesis long hill didn't have its normal bite. When I started the hill, I glanced over and saw a group of high school cross country runners waiting at the light across the street, so I had a little jump on them. In the past, with my stop-and-go style, I would have been fodder for the girls team as they raced past me.

This time, however, it was only three or four, so I crested the hill with a slight feeling of accomplishment, which was quickly dashed when a runner came from out of the blue and passed me on the downhill.

After racing home to take a shower and get ready to attend coaches night for the boys at their school, we wheeled into the meeting just in time for the handouts. The one that really stuck with me was titled, "ABC's of Success."

Back in the day, my high school basketball coach always posted a thought for the day along with the practice schedule. That may be where I found my love for inspirational thoughts, or at least a passion for coach-speak and the desire to mix sports metaphors into nearly every discussion.

I'm sure when I was 17 if someone would have handed me this list it would have been glanced at and the put into the permanent circular file in my bedroom. But now the words ring poignant and so simple that they might be reduced to pure platitudes

So here's a list of thoughts to live by. Hopefully, they'll inspire you, too. And, if you see the world's slowest human out on the road today, give me a wave.

ABC’s of Success
  •     Avoid negative sources, things and habits.
  •   Believe in yourself.
  •   Consider things from every angle.
  •   Don’t give up and don’t give in.
  •   Enjoy life today.
  •   Find the best in you.
  •   Give more than you plan to give.
  •   Hang onto your dreams.
  •   Ignore those that try to discourage you.
  •   Just do it!
  •   Keep trying no matter how hard it seems. It will get better.
  •   Live life.
  •   Make it happen.
  •   Never say never
  •   Open you mind to new possibilities.
  •   Practice makes perfect.
  •   Quitters never win and winners never quit.
  •    Read, study and learn about everything important in your life.
  •    Stop procrastinating.
  •    Take control of your own destiny.
  •    Understand yourself in order to better understand others.
  •    Visualize it.
  •    Wait until it feels right.
  •    X-celerate your efforts.
  •    You are unique in all of God’s creation, nothing can replace you.
  •    Zero in on your target, and go for it!!!        
                 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment