Monday, August 13, 2012

I'm no fluke!


Day 7 -- Aug. 13, 2012

Today I am 191.2 pounds of rolling thunder.

I guess if you graphed my weight progress it would look slightly like the stock market -- some minor gains but mainly a net loss.

But on the running side, yesterday's 40-minute run proved that I'm no fluke. It was the same route as the day before covering about 4 miles give or take. The difference this time was no walking, except maybe some jaywalking through stop lights to keep the momentum going.

For most runners these episodes of not walking wouldn't seem like much. I can hear you marathoners out there smirking -- stop it, a hammy injury could slow you down at any moment. And let's remember, I am not a life-long distance runner.

So what's the difference? Boy I'd like to say I knew.

Two days ago the temperature was cooler and less humid than the oppressive summer heat had been. But yesterday was warm and fairly humid and I still got through it.

I've cut way down on eating like a child. No cookies or ice cream for days. My binge-O-meter is off the charts low. But if I keep getting results, I'm not changing the formula.

I also have a couple of secret weapons. No, I gave up steroids long ago and all these energy-boost drinks just make me jittery. No, two things I've added to my regimen are frequent visits to a chiropractor and added stretching during the day and post run.

While I'm still the world's slowest (and least limber) man, I think getting my hips, legs and back more limber is making a difference. My body doesn't seem to be fighting against itself to gain a range of motion needed to run. At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

And although the Olympic flame flickered out last night, I'm still hitting the streets for better health and overall fitness.

So as usual, if you see the world's slowest human out jogging, give me a wave. And remember, kids are back in school, so give them a break, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment