Saturday, August 11, 2012

Sometimes scales of life head up no matter what


Day 5 -- Aug. 11, 2012

Today I'm 192.6 pounds of rolling thunder.

And I do mean rolling thunder. For the first time since I started this odyssey my weight is up. But I knew this day would come. I knew that I would blip up, so the key is not to blip up too many days in a row.

But dang it. No cookies yesterday and it was a long run day.

I clunked and chunked my way over 6 miles of jogging/walking fun followed by 20 minutes on the bike.

On days when I gain, I always look back and think what I might have done different in eating or working out than I did on a day when I lost weight.

Half-pound or pound swings can be a function of water retention or dietary choices. Even the time you eat can sway the morning measurement.

So I try not to worry too much about the day-to-day but concentrate on the weekly milestones. Like most people, I'd like to lose much more weight than determination, concentration, conditioning and will allows. But I'll try anyway.

It was the first time in weeks when the heat was down into the 80s, the humidity was also down and it just felt like the general crap was out of the air. And while I didn't charge up every hill, I was able to clear more without walking than days in the past, which was a good thing.

Even an old, fat fart like me feels a little better when I crest a hill and start the easier downward trot. And it was especially nice to have enough left in the tank at the end of 6 miles to kick in an extra gear and speed up, if ever so slightly.

My big sin for the day was once again kettle chips. But hey, the Chiefs were on, and the cork is now popped on a new football season. The key now will be to keep the snowball rolling down hill and continue eating better and working out.

I keep wondering just how many calories can you burn watching the Insanity Workout infomercial? Must not be many or I'd be ripped by now.

Anyway, you know the drill, when you see the world's slowest man come thundering by, give me a wave.

No comments:

Post a Comment