Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Don't Forget Not To Wear White After Labor Day




Day 28 -- Sept. 4, 2012

Today I am 191.6 pounds of rolling thunder.

Well, it's after Labor Day, so I guess I can't wear white anymore. Not that I wear white when I run, I just thought I'd throw that in there for those of you who follow such things.

We've had a warm and humid couple of days, so conditions are back to summer fun. A lot of running with a dash of walking thrown in just to keep me honest.

Yesterday I got in my 6.5-mile long run day. My loop is hilly by my standards and circumnavigates the neighborhood, so I get to keep a keen eye on all the construction projects, storm damage and water line breaks.

I made my way up the first two hills with a little bit of walking on each. By the bottom of the second one, I was starting to get my running lungs again (maybe there is something to the old lung exerciser). 

I made it through the next set of rollers without much problem and climbed my nemesis hill to just about the midway point when I gave in to my barking dogs and walked to the top.

Even though it was hot, I kept the momentum going, and when I got to the turn to cut the route, I waited for the stop light and pressed on to the last hill. By the time I made it to the final turn at the bottom of the hill. My legs and lungs were on an even track, which is to say, I was gassed.

But I did the whole run/walk/run thing to the top and let gravity take me home on the downhill.

All in all, it was a pretty uneventful run, which is a good thing. Although, it's always more exciting when you find stuff along the way (re: steak knives, money, 5-Hour Energy, condoms). 

This trip, not so much. Just me and what there was of Labor Day afternoon traffic.

Well, here's to hoping you won't wear white and embarrass yourself. And, oh yeah, don't forget to wave at me when you see the world's slowest human out there punishing the pavement.

No comments:

Post a Comment