Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My Scale Must Be Broken!






Jan. 9, 2013

Today, I just know my scale is broken. How can I be 195.2 pounds of rolling thunder? How indeed?

I'm still amazed how many people in my extended circle of friends have resolved in the new year to lose weight. Yeah, I'm sure it's one of my resolutions, too, but I've resolved not to have resolutions this year so that darn scale just has to be broken.

I am, however, going to try to eat more healthy food, drink more water and less diet soda and generally skip late-night snacking.

I don't know about the rest of you runners, joggers, walkers and mere mortals, but cookies call to me at night. I hear their little voices telling me they won't survive the night alone in the cold, dark kitchen.

So, to put them out of their misery, I eat them. It would be a shame to let them suffer like that in fear all night, so why not help myself and the cookies out by having a little snack while watching yet another CSI rerun before shutting things down for the night?

I admit it, I'm a stress eater, and sugary snacks are my nemesis. I know this because sugary carbs are my friend. They help me fight off the late-night worries and they keep my belly pleasantly plumb. 

So the goal is to limit those little critters from calling my name, drink more water and eat real foods and not just things that you have no idea where they came from.

Oh, and exercise. Now I've done a pretty good job of incorporating some form of cardio workout into my daily routine. Otherwise those little late-night carb critters would have my BMI somewhere in the jumbo range.

Yesterday, I hit the road again for my walk. The winter has once again gone on an upswing and the day was great to get out and grind the miles. No inside bike. No NordicTrack. No stair stepper. Just me concentrating on keeping a strong pace with arms swinging at my sides.

It was a good hour and a half walk followed by a quick bowl of steel-cut oats and yogurt for a snack. I've heard a lot about steel-cut oats, but this is my first chance at trying them for myself -- the jury is still out. To be fair, I mixed them raw into my yogurt and it was a bit like eating Grape-Nuts. So I'll reserve judgment until I've eaten them properly cooked.

The great thing is I got out and moved. Now if I could just get my scale fixed, I just know the weight will melt away like snow on a 60-degree winter day.

Good luck to all of us non-resolutionists.

 











No comments:

Post a Comment